If you're a Musician who wants to spend more time doing what you love, and less time in the office trying to find gig details, organizing setlists, chasing bandleaders for payment or syncing up all your calendars, then you're in the right place. Back On Stage App is here for you!
We help musicians enjoy their music careers again by automating the boring business aspects.
But before we begin...
Who Can Use Back On Stage?
Any musician can join Back On Stage, when:
- Your bandleader registers for an account and then sends you an invitation to join their band, OR
- You sign up for your own "Leader" account (there a monthly fee)
This Article Is For
Musicians who have recieved an invitation to join Back On Stage from their bandleader.
Don't Have An Invitation?
Invite your bandleader to use Back On Stage:
Why Use Back On Stage (Why is it great?)
If you’re reading this, CONGRATULATIONS, your bandleader is a proud user of our software and is inviting you to be a part of this experience.
With BOS, you will be able to do the following:
- View and accept gig offers
- Sync your bookings to your Google Calendar or iCal
- Communicate (chat) with your bandleader and other band members
- Access Smart Setlists that your bandleader creates
- Upload your own PDF files to set lists
- Receive payments automatically after the gig
- Download your own auto generated invoices after the gig
How To Get Started Using Back On Stage (as a musician)
By now, your bandleader will have already sent you an email invitation to join their band on Back On Stage. This email will look something like this:
When you get the email, all you have to do is to press “click here” to reply to your bandleader’s invitation and create your Back On Stage account and profile. (IT’S FREE!) In creating an account, you will be connected to your organization's callouts on BOS and can start to receive bookings from your bandleader.
The link in the email will take you to the Back On Stage signup page. Please fill in your details and click “Accept and Create My Account”.
Now you have a musician account on BOS! This is a FREE account that BOS will be using from now on to connect you to your bandleader(s). But wait, we’re not done yet. Next, we need to log onto BOS to complete your personal profile. Complete this next form and press “save and continue”.
When you are done with this form there's the option to visit the Dashboard on Back On Stage, this is the main page of the program containing all your upcoming gig info. It is also where you will receive new bookings from your bandleader. We'll talk more on this later. But, first, let’s get you set up completely so you can get paid right away!
Once you are inside Back On Stage, find the Profile icon on the top right corner and you can access your Personal profile.
Complete Your Personal Profile So You Can Get Paid
Here's what your personal profile page looks like:
As you can see, BOS has already filled in some of this information for you. Scroll down a little bit and let's talk about “Invoice Settings” and “Receiving Payments.”
Back On Stage app lets bandleaders pay musicians with a simple click of a button, and ensures that each musician is paid correctly, automatically, and on-time! Furthermore, for musicians, BOS will save you the trouble of having to create an invoice for your bandleader after every gig. Instead it will generate an invoice for you automatically.
Fill Out Your Personal Invoice Settings
To make sure BOS uses your preferred info on the automatically generated invoices for all your gigs, please fill in your personal information completely. You can also tag on any applicable taxes here. If you are in a situation where taxes do not apply, you can simply leave this section blank.
Add Your PayPal Email Address So You Can Get Paid
BOS also provides a safe and secure way for bandleaders to transfer payments to you through PayPal. Of course, you will need to have a PayPal account to enjoy the convenience of this auto-pay function. PayPal accounts are free and it’s easy to sign up!
NOTE: you won't need to pay any fees to PayPal to recieve bandleader payouts and/or to transfer them to your bank account.
If you don't want to use PayPal, just leave the PayPal email address blank. BOS will still create an invoice for you when your bandleader pays you.
That's it! You just finished setting up for Back On Stage.
Now that you’re done filling in all the forms, let's go back and explore the Dashboard a little bit!
3 Features You Need To Know About
There are three main pages that you will be working with on a day to day basis: Dashboard, Individual Booking View and Repertoire Features. We have detailed step-by-step tutorials on each one of these workspaces in the Back On Stage Academy, but here’s just a quick overview of them.
The BOS Dashboard is the first page you see when you log onto Back On Stage. This page will give you everything you need to know about any current and upcoming gigs, and put you at the center of the action. The basic functions of the Dashboard includes:
- The Calendar - This section displays all your upcoming gigs and their basic info, this includes date, start time, event title, confirmation status. You can subscribe to this calendar and see the most up to date information on your phone anytime!
- Bookings - This section will give you a more detailed view of each gig and will let you “accept” any new bookings your bandleader sends you.
- Finances - BOS will track your finances for you so that you can keep track of past and future income.
- Chat - Do you have a question about a gig or do you want to communicate with other musicians who are on the gig? This function lets you send private messages to musicians who are on the same gig.
- Tasks - Sometimes the bandleader may delegate responsibilities to members of the band. You will see them here if you’ve been “voluntold”. You can also create your own tasks that no one else will see.
2. Individual Booking View:
When you get booked for a gig, you will be able to view its detailed information in the Individual Booking View. Simply select the event you wish to view from the Calendar or the Search Bar, you will be taken to the Individual Booking View which consists of:
- Booking Details - Find out everything you need to know about this gig, including timing, location, services and setlist.
- Gig Offer - Accept or decline a gig offer. See the acceptance status of this gig and find out if the gig is confirmed or still in negotiation with the client.
- Additional Details - If there are any additional details that are pertinent to the event they would be included here. The bandleader may choose to include detailed notes about this gig too.
- Tabs Section (Band) - Anything that relates to the operation side of this gig can be found here. This includes Chat, Roles, Files and Tasks. We will give you a more in-dept tutorial of how BOS helps you communicate with others in the BOS academy.
- Tabs Section (Finances) - BOS keeps track of your earnings per gig so you don’t have to. The Finances Tab contains your invoice and payout information.
3. The Repertoire Features
When was the last time you asked this question, “What are we playing next?” Let’s face it, even for the most organized musician, it’s not easy to keep track of all the sheet music we work with everyday. Well now, you don't have to look for sheet music in your binder and then reorganize it at every gig anymore!
Back On Stage’s Smart Setlists are designed to know what instrument you play in the band and deliver the correct sheet music to your phone, computer and tablet in real time and in the proper set order.
If your bandleader has organized a setlist for the gig, you can simply head into the Individual Booking View of the gig and click “View Set List”. This will take you to the Smart Setlist right away. Once there, you can view song detials like tempo (there's even a build-in metronome), key, length, notes, and you can view sheet music pdf's or even upload your own charts!
Since this is just an overview of what we have in store for you, we’re not going to show you all the awesomeness we've put into the Repertoire Features here. In fact, we have written an entire tutorial on the use of the Repertoire Features in the BOS Academy! Be sure to pay it a visit later to learn how to use the most advanced artist management software in the market!